Hairy House

Hairy House

Tuesday 26 September 2023

Visiting Albania!!!!!!!!!!

We ended our trip back in Tirana and were all surprised to find that we liked the city much more on our return. I'm not sure why, though I think the cocktail bar at the Opera house may have helped. 

Incidentally, was a little shocked by the Opera house itself. I went into the foyer to see if there was anything going on - there were no posters, nothing to advertise any concerts. When I interruprted the conversation of the three girls behind the desk to ask if they had a brochure, was thrown a photocopied list of concerts - none of which were Opera, that would be happening before Christmas - and there wasn't much. Handing back the brochure, none of them even glanced my way or returned my goodbyes.I don't get the impression that the arts are keen to advertise, sadly.

So, with my vast experience of an eight day trip to Albania - I keep thinking it was ten days, but it took a day to get there and a day to get back, thank you Lufthansa - I will proceed to pontificate as though I know it well. Or at least, for others planning a similar holiday, I can offer up a few tips in no particular order. 


1.It is pronounced Albanya and you will get strange looks if you pronounce it Al-bane-eeya as we did to begin with. 

2.Don't expect to lose weight, even if you are hauling massive rucksacks up vertical hills for 30 minutes. The food is too good. 

3. Yes, it's cheap, but only depending on what you want to do there. Food is cheap unless you insist on ordering the most expensive items off the menu a la Rupert.

4. Take water shoes with you.

5. Prepare to be very relaxed over bus schedules.

6. Take cash - euros are often accepted instead of Albanian Lek, but cash is accepted more than card.

7. Try and be fit if you plan to visit castles.

8. Be relaxed about smoking in restaurants, it's just different.

9. Take buses if you can, rather than hire a car. Unless you end up taking a lot of taxis because you have missed the bus, it is very cheap and you end up feeling like you've had a more authentic experience - you can sit back, enjoy the scenery and you are still immersed in the Albanian experience. Even if you end up taking taxis, I reckon you've probably spread your money around a bit more, which I like to think is better than paying it straight to Avis or Herz or other.

10. Don't expect food to come in any particular order - even if the menu has starters and main courses listed, the food seems to come out a plateful at a time, whenever it is ready. But it doesn't matter.

11. Like cheese.

12. No flushing loo roll  - like Greece. I'd like to say you get used to it...

13. Go. And have a wonderful time.

No comments:

Post a Comment