Hairy House

Hairy House

Friday 23 August 2013

Election Fever

So, we've got an election coming up and Rupert is out and I am too drunk  - after a small bottle of cider - to do anything useful, so thought I would write a blog post - for the first time in a while.

The last few months have been pretty busy, trying to finish two novels and get a string quartet up and running, gigs here, there but not everywhere, teaching and looking after three kids. Not that they need looking after as such, it's more about driving them places and yelling at them, nowadays. Most of our interactions are along the lines of "Where's my...." and "Who's left their socks on the floor again?" Very occasionally, I get to exchange a couple of words with my other half, but not often.

What I want to know is: is there such a thing as Election Amnesia, in the same way as one gets Childbirth Amnesia and forgets the blood and gore and agony of childbirth, in order to keep the human race going? Because, if this election is as bad as most, then surely we would have ditched democracy a long time ago?

At the moment I am favouring the idea of going back to a feudal system. The thought of being able to build a nice windowless keep, pull up the drawbridge and retreat from the world at large is very tempting. Part of me thinks I should just be grateful that we don't live in Syria or Egypt at the moment, but at the same time I wonder - is this how it all starts? How did we get to the point when the major parties are battling it out to see who can be the most Xenophobic? The least compassionate?

I would go on, but am feeling so full of despair that I am going to join Juliette and her friend Keely and watch Justin Beiber. And if that doesn't say something, then nothing does.

No comments:

Post a Comment